Saturday, February 19, 2011

Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine

Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine
Published in 2004

Subsection a. iPod dammit.

This is a pretty spectacular album, and if you have never heard it, I think it would be in your best interest to rectify that oversight as soon as humanly possible. The reasons I think this are threefold.

First, you're never going to hear an album as focused and well exectuted. The songs are simple and well performed. This is not to say that there is no depth to the music, but that the music is there on display for you. The music is composed of three parts. Vocals, drums and bass. That's it. It's got the same stripped down kind of sound that the Black Keys did so well, but instead of the blues, they take on a metal band.

Second, the album works incredibly well for a few specific purposes that are very important. You can get pumped up and bang your head to it. You can drive to it. You can rock out to it. You cannot play it over your head like a Peter Gabriel song to get a girl, unless she was a pretty singular girl, and she had some remakably tolerant parents. (In that movie, by the way, why the fuck didn't they call the fucking cops on him? I get that it is romantic or whatever, but that is some stalker ass chain you up in the basement shit here, and not in the fun kinky way, but in the it puts the lotion on the skin or else it gets the hose again way. [The Album Project - Only the best in Say Anything based music criticism. {Can you tell that I like nested asides. }])

Thirdly, nested asides aside (Boom.), this is a great album for setting memories to. Like, for instance, going on a roadtrip very much like the one that I wrote about some weeks ago. Actually, when I first conceived of writing about this one, it was as part of a trio of albums that I really got to know and listened to a shit ton because of that roadtrip. The third one has become hard to find, so it will have to wait, but enough about that shit.

This album is a hard driving, methodical earbound ass kicking. I would not hesitate to say that it is fucking awesome, and also that it drips fucking sex. The album is made to continually make you stop thinking, and the lyrics are more often than not about fucking.

The bass is distorted and awesome, the drums are driving and the music is superior. This is an album that must be filed in the not optional file. It's time for you to discover this band, and to rediscover it if you already know them.

Unfortunately, we didn't jump on their bandwagon soon enough, and we must live knowing that the band broke up and we will not be getting any more. This is part of the reason to hold desperately to the artifacts we do have from them.

Part of the reason I started this project was to discover new bands that I didn't appreciate before and to find a wider audience for the ones that I already loved. This is definately in the latter catagory. Please, give this album a listen, and if you like it, let's talk about it, because I don't really know exactly what it is.

Thanks are in order for three gentlemen and one lady, you know who you are, since I linked you on facebook.

"There you go again, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck. "
Matt

PS.  Hey!  I just wanted to direct you to some new features on The Album Project.  First off, just to recall the geocities of our youth, there is a counter for page views at the bottom of the page.  Secondly, I've changed some of the stuff around to be more me, so you might find jokes where there weren't ones before.  I'm taking suggestions, by the way, for how the site should look, so if you want me to add some sparkles, or keep it clean, like it is now, give me some ideas.

Third, and most important, I've got some interesting stuff up on the top right of the page, several blogs that I read, one major website, and most importantly Give Phil Five.  Give Phil Five is a charity set up by my friend Phil to combat the scourge of humanity, heart disease.  He is raising money to run from the South of New Zealand to the North, and he could use every little bit of help that he could.  I'd really appreciate it, as a future (hopefully not) sufferer of heart disease if you could help him out at all.  Also, for every 100 comments on The Album Project, I'll Give Phil Five, and for every 5 pounds of weight that I lose, I'm going to Give Phil Five.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here is the box for comments. These comments are read by the author. Wait, that's me. Why am I talking like this?