Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cee Lo Green - The Lady Killer

Cee Lo Green - The Lady Killer
Published in 2010

Okay, so I love Cee lo, as is obvious from my Gnarls Barkley album project, but The Lady Killer blew me away from the first bars of Bright Lights, Big City.

This, in less time than many other albums I love, has completely won me over. It's obviously crying out to be added to the rotation. My god, what a great album.

Let's talk about the song everyone knows already. Fuck you is perhaps the quintessential pop song. It's catchy, funny, well made, and it's completely danceable. I'd venture to say that it is nigh on untouchable this year, except for the fact that this great pop sog seems to be a dying breed.

This album is one of those albums that will stick with you, because it mixes the timeless with the current. It's obviously an album of the now, but at the same time it's got an incredible sense of musical history. Ceelo's voice is pure motown, which is perhaps the highest compliment that I can think to give him. He reminds me (and it's important to specify that I do not mean imitates,) of some of the great singers that I loved when my mom and I listened to (MD radio references in the house) 100.3, the oldies station.

Seriously, find a recent album that combines dowap and modernity so well. I dare you. I double dare you. If you can, yu will win an album project award for sticking my nose in my own bold claims. I'm thinking of calling it something super degrading.

Seriously, folks, it's a great album. I knew that this one was going on the project from the first song. It's that infectious. If you pick it up, not only do you get the best single of the summer, you get an awesome album of songs of longing and the second best single of the summer.

No, I mean that. Go find the video for Its Okay. I'd do it for you, but then I'd start embedding videos all the time, and no one wants that. Really. Monty Python sketches are more relevant to music commentary than you think.

It's just a spectacular song, right?  I know, I told you it up there. I can only tell yu thatthe rest of the album holds up next to it. There isn't a song that doesn't fit this amazing mold.

The whole of he album is like that. It's a showcase for great music, and that showcase is used in the best way. I actually think that this defies any normal catagory. It's Motown, but it's sampled. It's modern and timeless, as I said at the top. It's beatiful and perfect.

I guess what I am saying is
1. everyone was right about this album
2. get this album, it's not optional,
And 3. Ceelo, come here buddy, I'll give you a big man hug.

Album project over. Hope you enjoyed it. Nick Olmstead, get this album immediately, or I'll kill you. That's not a threat, it's a promise.

"Well, obviously the core concept Lana."
Matt

PS. Hey, I know I've been harping on this a lot, but Give Phil Five! Leave a comment, make beautiful weight loss possible by depriving me of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here is the box for comments. These comments are read by the author. Wait, that's me. Why am I talking like this?