Sunday, September 6, 2009

Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris


Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
Published in 2007
Wikipedia

Of course, first and foremost is giving thanks to the person who suggested this album to me, both this time and the first time I listened to it. So, thank you Kristin for suggesting that I do a write up on them and getting me into them in the first place.

Queens of the Stone Age is one of my go to bands on my iPod. They are one of the bands that no matter what I am doing right then, I can find one of their songs and find something that will pump me up or slow me down. They have made some great albums, and have a constantly developing sound, that always is consistantly good. Their production values are always high, and their experiments are few and far between. I don't think I have heard a song by them that I haven't appreciated, and I find them to constantly have good albums. I'm a fan, and that makes it difficult to approach writing this from any other position but the fan position.

Actually listening to this album without my fandom in mind reminded me about how much I miss when I just put it on and forget about it. It's a surprisingly deep record for a band that is known for really driving rock. Lots of very meditative tracks, that are all over the spectrum. It fits together well though, for two major reasons. 1. It always seems like they are writing a song. What I mean about this is that they don't have the problem of figuring out where the song is going to go, or how it's going to get better than the last one or different, it's just one song at a time. This allows the parts to develop on their own, and you end up with something that has a shared heritage while not trying to connect too much. This is no rock opera.

2. Josh Homme has a voice that could melt the panties off a corpse. I think this one is self explanatory.

I actually want to justify that last statement. One thing that Kristin has always mentioned about QotSA is how sexy the music is. I agree, but every time I pin a track as sexy, she always tells me another one is more sexy. It's a strange thing. What we both can agree on is that the man can sing, and he knows where his voice is best. It's a strange breathe-y whisper that just can make some real cuts emotionally. The man knows how to make you feel the burning desire that he wants.

Actually, to go a little meta on this, I think that were I pressed into best voices of my generation, Josh Homme and Brandon Boyd would be two at the top of the list. They both are just great vocalists. And of course it helps that the band backing them up is so fucking awesome too.

Having listened to this album so much, I actually was getting a little bored listening to it. But then I was struck by why I was bored. It was just so good that I had kind of gotten used to how good it was. I was trying to find flaws because I was enjoying it too much. It's a good fucking album, and it fucking rocks when it wants to rock, and pulls back when it doesn't.

You want some great QotSA tracks off this album, may I suggest that you immediately try out Make It Wit Chu and 3's and 7's. They are two of the tightest tracks off the album, and they both are just fucking awesome. I hope later in the project to come back to some of the older QotSA albums.

Anyway, up next is The Black Keys - The Big Come Up, which I have never heard before.
Thanks again Kristin and I love you,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here is the box for comments. These comments are read by the author. Wait, that's me. Why am I talking like this?